Gunnar Sewell, educational consultant
Gunnar Sewell's Bio:
- Manage and instruct for Learn French Toronto
- Promote Toronto -based businesses through social media and backlinks
- develop and maintain W3C compliant websites used the ost advanced technologies
- Aim to work in the editorial or sales department of a major educational publishing company in Toronto.
- Gunnar Sewell has been teaching French and English as a second language to children, adolescents and adults. Mr. Sewell loves teaching and has a great success rate with all students, including those who are at risk or are underachievers.
- Gunnar Sewell is a member of the Ontario College of Teachers, holds an advanced certificate in the teaching of French as a Second Language (from the University of Toronto) and an ESL Canada certificate. At present he is the director of Learn French Toronto.
- Gunnar Sewell created Learn French Toronto, a private tutoring service, in 2010 and continues to manage and teach for LFT. He has a keen interest in French literature and in colloquial French. He is a dedicated teacher, working with all ages and abilities.
- Gunnar is goal-oriented, positive, a self-starter, with strong analytical skills. He is an exceptional communicator, with the ability to listen to and understand client needs in both French and English. In September 2012 Gunnar Sewell became a Microsoft Certified Specialist with Access 2007.
Gunnar Sewell's Experience:
Interpreter, French and English at Transdictum and Multilingual Community Interpreter ServicesDecember 2011 - Present | Toronto
ILSAT certified interpreter (French-English) with focus on Family Law, Social Services and Mental Health. Completed the MCIS court interpreter training in December 2011.
French and English Instructor at Learn French TorontoNovember 2009
I offer private and group French and English lessons: reading, writing, conversation, translation and pronunciation exercises. Inviting linguists and literary buffs to post interesting colloquial or metaphorical expressions log into http.learn-french-toronto.com and share. Also, any cartoonists who are interested in doing some illustration work for Learn French Toronto, please send me links to samples of your work.
Bilingual Administrative Assistant at Campaign 2000February 2011 - April 2012
Entered data into Microsoft Excel documents, maintained contact information in Microsoft Outlook, and edited or translated documents in Microsoft Word. During press conferences served as francophone spokesman. Campaign 2000's mandate is to increase public awareness of the levels and consequences of child/family poverty. My work with Campaign 2000 stemmed from a firm commitment to see the levels of poverty in Ontario decrease.
Interviewer, Researcher, Public Speaker at Daily Bread Food Bank, People's BlueprintMarch 2009 - April 2011
Interviewed ODSP and OW recipients to research the shortcomings of Ontario's safety net (Ontario's Social Services) as well as how these services could be improved. Wrote synopses of the interviews and edited video footage of the interviews we conducted. Participated in a number of forums to share our findings.
French and English Instructor at Hansa Language SchoolNovember 2009 - February 2011
Taught Vocabulary, Idioms, Writing Skills, Reading Appreciation and Conversation in French and English.
French Teacher at Wellington County Board of EducationSeptember 2005 - June 2006
Taught French at night school to intermediate level students.
Tutor at Action Read2003 - 2006
Taught literacy and numeracy skills to adults.
Professeur d'Anglais at Ecole BilingueJanuary 2002 - January 2003
Professeur d'anglais et d'anglais langue seconde, Ecole Bilingue, Cambridge, MA
Teacher, Program Developer and Translator at Toronto District School BoardSeptember 1990 - June 2001
Translated 4 Science Modules from English to French for the TDSB. Developed reading and writing programs for French children's literature. Designed and delivered anti-discrimination workshops. Trained colleagues in the implementation of the electronic report card (File Maker Pro). Coached basketball each season. Taught 3rd, 4th and 5th grade French Immersion programs.
Gunnar Sewell's Education:
Cornell University1982 – 1987BAConcentration: French LiteratureActivities: Studied novels, biographies, plays, poetry, comparing and contrasting different works from Rimbaud to Sartre.
McGill University1989 – 1990Teaching CertificateConcentration: Teaching of French as a Second LanguageActivities: Member of the McGill film club
Westtown School1979 – 1981Liberal ArtsConcentration: research and writingActivities: Varsity wrestling and cross country running. Meeting for worship (Quaker).
Ryerson University2010 – 2012Professional Development Designation in Web DesignConcentration: web designActivities: bike club, yoga
Gunnar Sewell's Interests & Activities:
Literature, film, theatre, story telling, cycling, Nature, yoga, language. La haute cuisine. Concepts of Multiple Intelligences and of Emotional Intelligence.